Sunday, September 3, 2017

Judging books by their covers...

     A week or so ago, I went to a drag queen show in real life.  It was held in my local gay bar and I had a family friend performing.  I never grew up around a gay community but after high school, I had friends come out to me.  I was kinda touched by this because they trusted me with their secret.  They knew I would be accepting of them the way they were.
    My friends did move onto different parts of the country that were more accepting of who they were and I eventually lost track of them.  So it was nice to have a chance to be part of this community, even just one night.  Despite all the struggles they face as gay people, especially now, there is so much love.




     Which brings me to another situation I had in second life awhile ago.  A long time friend of mine told me that he was not the Caucasian as his character appears in SL.  I guess I was a little surprised by this because I had known this individual for many years.
    Which made me think, imagine having to use SL to "feel normal". He is normal, just slightly darker and of a different religion.  He told me some of the discrimination he encounters in RL.  He wanted to feel how it is not to to be held to a society image of him.  He wanted to feel how an European white male was treated. What do you say to respond to that?
    We all have heard stories about autistic people using this as a platform to practice communication skills.  Transgender people portraying their true selves on here.  He has been very understanding when I ask him questions and I always appreciate that about him.  Maybe SL should make a move that everyone should be green.  Imagine only judging by personalities only.....

(This post was actually written awhile ago..my lazy arse took too long to publish it )







No comments:

Post a Comment